- In an oven proof pan add a healthy splash of olive oil, sweat off onions and garlic until they begin to brown a little.
- Then add chickpeas, olives, balsamic, chilli (to taste) and tomatoes (crush tomatoes roughly as you add them to the pan). Season lightly. Olives will add saltiness as they cook down so be careful with salt at this stage.
- Simmer on medium heat for 8 to 10 minutes. Stir occasionally and check for seasoning.
- Create a small divot in the mixture with the back of a large serving spoon, carefully crack eggs on to the mixture and simmer on low to medium heat until egg whites being to whiten.
- Finish under broiler for 3 to 5 minutes to complete cooking eggs.
- Garnish with parsley, a good splash of olive oil and your favourite crusty bread.
- I’ll likely add a few random cans of mixed beans to this recipe.
Join the conversation