- 2 heaping cups sweet onion
- 3-4 cloves garlic minced
- 1 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 cup diced celery
- 1 large red pepper seeded and diced
- 3 carrots cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 zucchini cubed
- 1 28-oz can diced tomatoes
- 1 cup vegetable broth
- 1 small can tomato paste
- 1 15-oz can kidney beans drained and rinsed
- 1 15-oz can chickpeas drained and rinsed
- 1 tbsp chili powder
- 2 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 1/2-3/4 tsp fine grain sea salt
- 1/4 tsp ground cayenne pepper
- 1 tsp hot sauce
- In a large pot, sauté the onion and the garlic in the oil over medium heat until soft and translucent, about 5 minutes.
- Add the celery, peppers, carrots, and zucchini and sauté for another 5-7 minutes or so, until softened.
- Add the can of diced tomatoes (with the juice), broth, and tomato paste. Stir to combine. Increase heat to medium-high.
- Add the drained and rinsed beans, along with the chili powder, cumin, oregano, salt, cayenne, and hot sauce. Simmer the mixture until thickened, about 10-15 minutes and adjust seasonings to taste if necessary.
1 cup = 1 serving
Join the conversation