- 1 cup cooked barley
- 1- 540 mL/ 19oz can black beans rinsed and drained
- 1 tbsp canola oil
- 1 small red onion
- 6 cloves garlic minced
- 1 large red pepper diced
- 2 tsp chili powder
- 2 tsp cumin
- 2 tsp coriander
- 1 tsp cracked black pepper
- 1 1/4 cups canned enchilada sauce mild, medium or hot
- 1 1/2 cups fresh or frozen corn thawed
- 8 oz or 2 cups grated jalapeño Monterey Jack cheese or Havarti cheese
- Heat a large oven proof skillet over medium heat. Add corn and fry until it starts to blacken, approx. 6-8 minutes.
- Add oil, onion and garlic and sauté until the onion begins to soften.
- Add red pepper and continue sautéing until the red pepper starts to soften, approx. 3-5 minutes.
- Add spices: chili powder, cumin, coriander and pepper.
- Pour in enchilada sauce, black beans and barley and stir in well. Cover with a lid and let reduce heat to low, simmer for 8-10 minutes or until heated through. Meanwhile preheat oven to 350°F.
- Remove lid and sprinkle with the cheese. Place in oven and let the cheese melt. Take about 10 minutes. Remove from oven, let sit for 5 minutes and serve.
Protein 15.7 g
Carbohydrates 43 g
Fat 15.7 g
Fibre 9.5 g
Sodium 675 mg
Join the conversation