- Cook the sausages until fully cooked. Remove casing. Place on a paper towel to drain and fully cool.
- Make the topping: in a medium bowl mix together the brown sugar, walnuts and butter. Cover and set aside until the next morning.
- In a large bowl: beat together eggs, milk, vanilla, cinnamon and nutmeg. Set aside.
- Line 9×13 inch (3.5L) glass baking pan with wet parchment paper.
- Cut slices of the raisin bread diagonally into quarters; stand quarters up in prepared pan.
- The sausages should be cool by now. Slice them into ¾-inch/2mm pieces and tuck in between slices of bread, sprinkling the extras on top.
- Pour the egg mixture over bread and sausage.
- Cover with foil or plastic wrap and refrigerate overnight.
- The next morning: Preheat oven to 350°F/180°C. Remove the make ahead breakfast from the fridge, remove wrap.
- When the oven is hot, spoon the topping over.
- Bake uncovered for 40 to 50 minutes or until knife inserted in the center comes out clean. Let stand 5 to 10 minutes before serving.
Protein 17.3 g
Carbohydrates 58.2 g
Fat 27.7 g
Fibre 3 g
Sodium 407 mg
Join the conversation