- In a bowl, combine the chicken and mayonnaise. Refrigerate until ready to serve.
- In a food processor, combine the corn masa flour, green onions, pepper flakes and salt. Add the water and pulse until the dough is smooth.
- Let rest for 5 minutes. Shape the dough into 6 discs inch (1 cm) thick.
- In a large non-stick skillet over medium-high heat, cook half of the arepas at a time in the oil for 3 minutes on each side or until golden brown. Add more oil, if needed.
- Drain on paper towels. Using a breadknife, cut the arepas in half horizontally while still hot. Keep warm.
- In the same skillet over medium-high heat, brown the banana slices in the oil. Season with salt and pepper. Drain on paper towels.
- Layer the chicken, bananas, avocado, cheese and cilantro leaves on the arepa halves. Drizzle with lime juice. Close the arepas.
- Serve with hot sauce, if desired.
l NOTE l Instant corn masa flour can be found in most supermarkets or Latin American grocery stores. If unavailable, it can be replaced with quick-cooking polenta by adding slightly more water: 2 cups + 2 tbsp.
Join the conversation