Elle Cuisine’s, Lauren Mozer shares her tips and tricks for getting that awesome Intstagram-worthy food post.
The Art of Plating
a. It all starts with the appearance of the food itself.
• Include colour (balance, contrast, movement)
• Create height (the base, the build, the garnish)
• Choose the right (go big-> empty space, white is king, don’t distract)
The Importance of Lighting & Angles
a. The key to good food photography is the lighting.
• Highlighting and shadowing
b. Play with angles and focus.
• The dish will look different depending on the angle you take the photo from. Play around with this and find it’s “best side”.
• Play with focus -> focus on one part of the dish, blur the background.
Staging Your Scene
a. Plan the background and create a mood.
• Set your table, add floral and candles
• Create a solid background (white, wood, etc.)
• Don’t distract (be careful not to do too much, focus on the food and tell a story.
b. Add movement/action
• Pouring sauce, or drizzling honey
a. Highlight, increase brightness/exposure
b. Minimize shadows, increase contrast
c. Increase saturation (but keep it real)
d. NO FILTERS – they distort the truth in the food
Join the conversation