Fina Scroppo shares her favourite nutrient-packed pasta dish that your family will love. Buon appetito!
Farfalle with creamy tuna and red pepper
- 13 oz (375 g) whole wheat or whole-grain farfalle (bowtie) pasta
- 1 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 cups diced red bell peppers (about 1 to 2 peppers)
- 1 can (28 oz/796 mL) no-salt-added whole peeled tomatoes with liquid, chopped
- ½ tsp sea salt
- ¼ tsp granulated sugar
- Pinch ground nutmeg
- Pinch freshly ground black pepper
- 1 can (6 oz/170 g) flaked light tuna (skipjack preferably) in water, drained
- 2 tsp capers in brine, rinsed
- 3 to 4 tbsp crumbled light goat’s cheese (2 oz/56 g)
- 1 tbsp chopped fresh parsley
Bring a large pot of water to a boil. Cook pasta al dente according to package directions.
In the meantime, heat olive oil over medium-high heat in a very large pot or deep non-stick skillet and add onion and peppers; cook until softened, about 5 to 6 minutes. Add peeled tomatoes with liquid, salt, sugar, nutmeg and black pepper; reduce heat to medium and cook for 7 to 8 minutes, stirring occasionally.
Stir in tuna and light goat’s cheese until well combined and heated through.
Reserve a couple ladles of pasta water. Drain pasta and toss well with tuna sauce. If pasta is a little dry, add some pasta water as you toss. Sprinkle pasta with parsley and serve immediately.
5 to 6 Servings | 30 min or less | Gluten-free* (Replace with GF pasta) | Meatless
Calories: 355 Total fat: 5 g, (1 g Saturated fat), Cholesterol 12 mg, Sodium 279 mg, Carbs: 55 g, Fibre 8 g, Protein: 19 g
Courtesy Fina Scroppo