Mother’s Day is coming up and, well, our mothers have already given us the best gift we could possibly have: unconditional love. Now it’s Mom’s turn to feel completely spoiled. An idea we’ll never tire of is serving Mom breakfast in bed — have Dad help!
Here’s a list of ideas to help you get started on preparing breakfast in bed for Mom. (These are just a few tips to enhance your already-perfect breakfast in bed. Your mom will feel the love no matter what!)
Mother’s Day Breakfast in Bed
First you will need a serving tray.
A long rectangular platter or decorative tray is best — check around your kitchen first, as your mom probably already owns one. If you can’t find one around the house, inexpensive ones can be found at dollar stores.
Store-bought cards are of course always nice to receive as well, but there’s something about homemade cards that say, “I love you.” Place it on the breakfast platter with a personal message written inside — so your mom truly knows how special she is.
A decoratively-folded linen napkin
- Use a linen or cotton napkin — a decorative tea towel could work, too.
- Fold the napkin in half to make a triangle, leave about an inch of space between two top tips of the napkin.
- Next, place the butter knife horizontally on the napkin, leaving a good inch at bottom. Place the fork on top on the knife.
- Roll the flat end of the napkin over top of the cutlery until it is covered, then fold in the sides of then napkin on top of the utensils.
- Holding the folded sides down, continue to roll the cutlery toward the top tip of the napkin until the entire napkin is wrapped around the cutlery.
- You will notice the tip of the triangle, roll up tight and place the tip of the triangle face down when you put the cutlery down to hold the napkin in place.
- Voila! It looks like you’ve got the napkin from a restaurant.
Her favourite magazine or book
Place your mom’s favourite book or magazine beside her breakfast to read while she enjoys her coffee and breakfast.
Flowers are a great way to instantly brighten up someone’s morning. Place some spring flowers in a pretty vase on the breakfast platter. A clear drinking glass can function as a vase.
Coffee, tea or orange juice
Whatever your mom’s preference! If she likes bubbly, consider turning that orange juice into a mimosa!
Not only is it healthy, it looks beautiful on a plate. Prepare a yummy and colourful fruit salad to start off her breakfast. This way, she won’t feel as guilty if you follow up the fruit salad with pancakes or French toast! Here are a few ideas on what to include — again, use what you know your mom likes!
- Orange/tangerine/blood orange
- Cantaloupe/honeydew melon
- Grapes (red or green seedless)
- Cut up your fruit and place it all in a bowl. These fruits are full of colour and will make a beautiful fruit salad. The natural juices of the fruit will form juice in the bottom of the bowl. No need to add sugar!
OR, try a Yogurt parfait
- Fruit of your choice (example, blueberries, cut up strawberries)
- Your mom’s favourite yogurt
- Place yogurt into a bowl. Add granola on top and then the fruit.
You’re going to need a meal to accompany your fruit salad or yogurt parfait. Try these Egg and toast tartlets from Claire Tansey. This recipe is extremely quick, easy and delicious! Your mom will be impressed with this one.
If your mom has more of a sweet tooth in the morning, try out Pancake Tacos from the Sweet Potato Chronicles ladies. This recipe is meant to be so easy that your kids can cook with you.
If you want something even simpler… go for a soft boiled egg with toast slices.
- 1 large egg
- 1 or 2 pieces of bread
- pinch of salt
- Bring water to a rapid boil, add a touch of salt.
- Boil egg for 5 minutes.
- Strain water and place egg in cold water for 2 minutes.
- Peel and place the egg in an egg holder if you have one, or a small bowl that will support it.
- Cut the top off so that the soft yolk is revealed.
- Toast a piece of bread and cut into slices to dip into the yolk!
Hmm…we think there’s still something missing. Ah, yes. Bacon!
Why not pair your mom’s breakfast with some maple fennel bacon — this recipe is irresistibly yummy.
So don’t forget to spoil your mom this Mother’s Day like she spoils you every day. We hope that our tips and ideas help you prepare a divine breakfast in bed that your mom will love. No matter how complicated or simple you go, your mom will be thrilled and feel the love. Happy Mother’s Day!
Join the conversation