These delectable vegetarian spinach balls from Sandi Richard are the perfect hors d’oeuvres for your next holiday party.
Prep Time: 20 minutes
1/4 cup dry mustard
1/4 cup vinegar
2 Tbsp white sugar
1 egg yolk
2 (300 g) packs of frozen chopped spinach (defrosted)
2 egg whites (3 in total)
4 green onions
1 (20 g) package of sage
1 cup low-fat Parmesan cheese
1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
1. Set oven to 350º F.
2. Whisk dry mustard and vinegar together in a small stove-top pot. Whisk in sugar and egg yolk until combined. (reserve egg white in a large bowl for spinach balls)
3. Cook mustard at medium heat until slightly thickened. Remove from heat and let stand to cool.
4. Squeeze a small portion of the moisture from the defrosted spinach and place in a large mixing bowl.
5. Add remaining egg whites and combine.
6. Finely chop green onions adding to bowl as you chop.
7. Add stuffing with seasoning, Parmesan cheese and olive oil. Stir together until well combined.
8. Spray baking sheet with cooking spray.
9. Form mixture into bite size balls and place on baking sheet. Place in preheated oven. Set timer for 15 minutes.
Makes 2 1/2 – 3 dozen
Courtesy Sandi Richard, www.cookingfortherushed.com