The Looneyspoon‘s Janet and Greta Podleski show us a meatball recipe perfect for hors d’oeuvres at your next holiday party.
1-1/2 lbs ground turkey or chicken
½ cup unseasoned dry bread crumbs
1/3 cup finely minced or grated onions
¼ cup chopped fresh parsley
½ tsp garlic powder
½ tsp dried marjoram
¼ tsp salt
¼ tsp freshly ground black pepper
1 can (19 oz) jellied cranberry sauce
¼ cup hickory or chipotle barbecue sauce (smoky)
2 tbsp freshly squeezed lemon juice
1 tsp reduced-sodium soy sauce
1 tsp grated orange zest
1) In a large bowl, mix together ground turkey, bread crumbs, onions, parsley, egg, garlic powder, marjoram, salt and pepper.
2) Form mixture into bite-sized meatballs, about 1 to 1-1/2 inches in diameter. You should end up with about 45 meatballs.
3) Place meatballs on a baking sheet that has been lightly coated with cooking spray.
4) Bake at 400°F for 12 to 15 minutes or until cooked through. Stir meatballs once, halfway through cooking time, to brown sides.
5) Remove from oven and transfer to a large pot.
6) To make sauce – in a small saucepan, combine cranberry sauce, barbecue sauce, lemon juice, soy sauce and orange zest. Cook over medium heat until cranberry sauce is melted and mixture is bubbly, about 5 minutes.
7) Pour sauce over meatballs and stir gently until all meatballs are coated with sauce. Cover and simmer over low heat for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
8) Serve hot.
Makes 45 meatballs.
Courtesy Janet and Greta Podleski, www.janetandgreta.com