Quick and easy, this pasta dish can be ready and on the table in 20 minutes.
Pasta with tuna and kale
2 cups (500 mL) whole grain rotini pasta
1 tbsp (15 mL) canola oil
1 onion, diced
4 large cloves garlic, minced
14 Kalamata olives, pitted and chopped in half
¼ tsp (1 mL) red pepper flakes
3 cups (750 mL) chopped frozen kale – Cookin’ Greens is the brand I used
Two – 85 g cans sundried tomato & basil tuna flaked light tuna
1. Bring a large pot of water to the boil. Add pasta and cook to al dente – 7 minutes – overcooked pasta has a higher GI index. Cook for only 7 minutes, drain well.
2. Meanwhile heat a large frying pan over medium heat. Add oil and onion and sauté for 3-5 minutes.
3. Add garlic, pepper flakes, and olives and sauté for 1 minute.
4. Add tuna and stir in well.
5. Add Cookin’ Greens and sauté for 3-4 minutes or until the greens are heated through.
6. Add drained pasta, stir in well and serve. Drizzle each serving with 100% Italian extra virgin olive oil if desired.
Makes approx. 8 cups
One serving = 2 cups (500 mL)
Courtesy Mairlyn Smith, www.mairlynsmith.com