Need help buying the perfect gift this holiday season? We’ve asked some of our guest experts for their top present picks, based on their area of expertise.
Here, Michael Bonacini shares his top 5 gift ideas for the home cook:
1. Japanese mandoline: “It slices and dices super thin – terrific for garnishes and soup,” said Michael. “This will give any enthusiastic home cook a professional approach to their cooking.”
2. Silicone brush: “This is the perfect brush for basting on barbecue sauces, glazing pastries or even baked goods,” said Michael. “It’s made of silicone, so it stands up to high temperatures […] and never has a bad odour to it.”
3. Meat thermometer: “You insert it into the thickest part of the meat, and let it sit there for five to eight seconds,” Michael says. “It’s allows you to cook roast beef to perfection and that holiday turkey is delicious every time.”
4. Microplane grater: “This is the perfect tool for the home cook who wants to use it to grate very hard cheeses,” says Michael.
5. Mortar and pestle: Michael says that it gives you “great flavours – perfect for marinades, roasts, or if you’re into spicy ethnic cuisine, roast off some wonderful spices, pound them down, and it’ll bring those spices back to life.”