This take on the classic Rice Krispie square is packed with heart-healthy quinoa, oats, and dried fruits. Enough to turn a guilty pleasure into a healthy treat!
½ cup brown rice syrup
½ cup honey
¼ cup butter or coconut oil
1 tsp salt
1 tsp pure vanilla extract
2 cups brown puffed rice cereal
2 cups puffed millet and/or puffed quinoa
1 cup oats
2-3 cups mixed seeds /dried fruits (such as sunflower, sesame and pumpkin with dried blueberries and cranberries)
- Line rectangular pan by first oiling then lining with parchment paper cut to fit pan. Oil will help parchment stick to pan and guarantee treats from sticking to top edges.
- In a large bowl measure out and combine all dry ingredients except salt.
- In saucepan heat together brown rice syrup, honey, and butter till butter melts and mixture starts gets all bubbly.
- Take off heat and stir in pinch of salt and your vanilla extract.
- Pour this mixture over dry ingredients and stir until all combined.
- Fold out mixture into your prepared pan and press down to fit.
- Cover with saran and place in fridge for at least 3 hours until set. Cut and store in airtight container. Can be frozen.
Do not stir too aggressively or press too hard into pan. You want your puffed cereal to stay airy.
This is a great recipe to do with kids. No cooking involved and they can choose some of their favorite ingredients to add in. Make it their own signature “treat”.
Chocolate chips are a great add-in but remember that the syrup is still hot when added to dry ingredients. Chips will melt.
For chewier treats use less dry ingredients.
Courtesy Christine Tizzard, http://christinetizzard.com