For a healthy and delicious snack, look no further!
2 Gala, Ida Red or Empire apples – no substitutions!
2 tsp (10 mL) granulated white sugar
1 tsp (5 mL) cinnamon
1. Set oven racks to the bottom third and the top third of the oven. Preheat to 200°F (100°C). Line two 9×13 inch rimmed baking sheet with parchment paper.
2. Thinly slice apples crosswise with a mandolin or sharp knife. You want the slices to look like a potato chip slice. Arrange apple slices in a single layer on the parchment paper. You should be able to get 1 sliced apple per sheet.
3. In small bowl, combine sugar and cinnamon. Sprinkle evenly over apple slices; I use my fingers, pinching bits and sprinkling. Great job for a child between the ages of 3-6.
4. Place one rack on the bottom rack and the other one on the top. Bake about 1 hour. Switch racks and bake for 1 more hour.
5. Remove from oven and let cool the baking sheet cool completely on a wire rack.
6. Gently peel off the apple chips from the paper and store then in an air tight container for 3 days if they last that long. Honestly I ate the whole thing in about 20 minutes.
Makes about 2 cups (500mL) of apples chips.
One serving = 1/4 cup (60 mL)
One serving contains:
32 calories, 0 g total fat, 0 g sat fat, 0 g trans fat, 1 mg sodium, 8.4 g carbs, 1.1 g fibre,
6.4 g sugar, 0 g protein
Diabetes Food Choice Values Per Serving
Courtesy Mairlyn Smith
Author of Healthy Starts Here